Kunun Aya ,also known as Ofio Milk, is a nutritious and refreshing drink, made with Tiger nuts.
It has lots of health benefits and the milk can be used as a substitute for the regular cow’s milk.
Kunun Aya (Tiger nuts Milk) is native to the Hausas in Northern Nigeria and quite easy to prepare.
– 400gram Tiger nuts (aya in hausa)
– 700 to 900ml cool water
– 2 teaspoon grated Ginger (optional)
-1/2 teaspoon of alligator pepper (optional)
– Honey or sugar (to taste-optional)
– If you are using dried tiger nuts, wash and soak in water with alligator pepper for 24 hours until they are all well hydrated (change the water from time to time, so that it doesn’t ferment).
If you’re using fresh tiger nuts, skip the soaking process.
– Pour out the water, rinse the nuts and place in a blender.
-Add the ginger and the cool water and blend thoroughly.
(the ginger is optional, but very beneficial to one’s health)
– Pour through a sieve with a tight mesh and let the milk strain out.
Chill in the refrigerator, sweeten with honey or sugar and enjoy.
Tip: when left for some hours the milk will separate from the fat. But that’s not a problem. Could be served with a snack or biscuits.
PHOTO CREDIT: Nigerian Food TV